One of the great people I met at the rehab center where I resided for 10 days was Dave, the Concierge. He was a retired guy who was just there to help in any way he could, like help deliver meals, get a patient some ice for their ever-present water bottle — just anything to help and cheer the patients up. And, believe me he did a good job. Especially when in the afternoon he would bring around a cart with coffee, hot tea, hot cider and cocoa for anyone interested.
Obviously, someone in Dave’s job needed to be a people person, as he was. So he and I would sometimes chat for a few minutes (I’m pretty sure that was part of his job too — a few minutes of just pleasant chatting is such a nice break for any patient).
I forget how the conversation came around to static cling, but it did and it inspired him to tell me a story about an incident his wife, Lynn, had experienced. Afterwards, one of the nurses told me she had worked with Dave’s wife, and she was as charming and funny as he was — so I’m sure she didn’t mind her story being told.
So, this was the story.
Dave and Lynn were going out to dinner with friends. They parked the car and began walking toward the restaurant. The other couple were walking behind them. All of a sudden, one of the other couple said, “Uh, Lynn. Is there a problem?”
Dave and Lynn turned around to see what problem there could possibly be, and followed their friends’ eyes to something on the sidewalk. Laying there was a pair of underpants! Lynn had on a skirt that she had just washed that afternoon and apparently it had had a little static cling, so a pair of underpants had been stuck to the underside of her skirt. But as she walked from the car to the restaurant something suddenly made the static cling loosen (maybe sudden exposure to cold air?) and the pair of underwear fell to the ground.
Of course, Dave said they all laughed about the incident, and he and Lynn still enjoy telling the story. But it is a good reminder to all of us, “If you don’t want something similar to happen to you, never forget the dryer sheets!”